Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Observed!

I'm in the middle of my fourth week of student teaching now. Today, my supervisor came in to school and observed me for the first time. I did a lesson for 5th graders on editing their own writing. She had a lot of positive feedback, which I was happy to hear. In particular, she mentioned how I gave good scaffolding support to the students.

She also had some good feedback as to how I could make my lessons better. We utilize the SIOP model for lesson planning at our University, and my supervisor noticed that my content and language objectives were nearly identical. She suggested that my lessons might benefit from including more content-based instruction. I agreed. I noticed that my example sentences in the early part of the lesson were completely without context. Binding these sentences together by relating them to some sort of meaningful context would have made them mor engaging and relevant to the students.

While I have many years of experience teaching adults, I don't have the same breadth of background knowledge in teaching youngsters. I'm really looking forward to the rest of my student teaching as a great opportunity to learn more about teaching young people and to continue to imporve as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment